Dear Parents, Guardians and Students,
The 2016-2017 school year is off to a fantastic start! Many wonderful things have happened, are in the works, or being planned for the grade 6, 7 and 8/9 band. So much so, that we have begun this blog as the primary way we would like to communicate with parents and guardians.
We are requesting that you take a few minutes to read the blog as there are a few key information items we need you to look over. Some key information on the blog to read includes:
- Grade 6, 7, 8 and 9 SWS Band Handbook
– This handbook outlines frequently asked questions by the parents and students. Such questions as the class expectations, what supplies each instrument needs, dates of performances, dates of early morning band and dates of parent band council meetings. There is a questionnaire on the last page of this handbook needs to be filled out by a parent or guardian and returned by each student.
See Band Parent/Student Handbook link at left.
- Fee payments
– $100.00 Instrumental Fee and CBE Instrument Rental Contract is now past due. This is a fee for any student renting an instrument from the CBE. Please pay this fee as soon as possible as well as filling out and returning the CBE Instrument Rental Contract.
– $50.00 Activity Fee. This is a fee we are collecting from all band students. This fee goes towards all their band activities throughout the year. This fee is charged at the beginning of the year instead of at the time of the activity. The only requirements at the beginning of the activity will be an Acknowledge of Risk form and a Medical form. This fee does not include any long distance band tours or band camps. This fee can be paid online with all other CBE school fees. This fee is due November 7, 2016.
- Uniform Band Shirts
– All band students must have a SWS band shirt and black bottoms for all performances. All grade 6 and beginner band grade 7 students were sized and sent home with a letter on October 21st. It gives parents and guardians the opportunity to buy a used shirt rather than a new one. However, we only have a limited number of used shirts and it will be done on a first come first serve basis. Students must hand in their form to Mrs. Bolen as soon as they can.
– Grade 7, 8 and 9 students who need a new shirt must tell Mrs. Bolen and pay $25 for a new one. Students must have the money in to Mrs. Bolen by Friday, October 28. The order will be placed after school on that day.
- Band and Breakfast
Grade 8/9 band have had three early morning rehearsals and we are off to a fantastic start! The attendance has been almost 100% including the excused absences. This has been the highest rate of early morning attendance ever and I am excited to be working with such motivated and responsible individuals. We have begun a program called band and breakfast where students rehearse for 45 minutes and are fed a small breakfast snack. All the food supplies and cooking/baking is donated through volunteers. I would like to thank Jackie Prokop and Elaine Gidluck for providing muffins, apples and lemon water for the first morning we started this program. We need more volunteers for this program to be a success! Please contact Jackie at email@example.com, or Elaine at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Upcoming Performances:
Spruce Meadows (Grade 9 students only) – November 18, 12 – 2
Chapters Fundraiser (Grade 9 students only) – November 29, 6-9PM
Winter Concert – All band students December 7, 2016 6:30PM
– All performances are outlined in the school calendar and band handbook and more information will be sent out closer to the date.
See 2016/2017 Concert Band Schedule of Events link at left for more details.
- Purdys Fundraiser
All the proceeds from the Purdys fundraiser are being given to the band and music program. We would like to use the money towards maintaining instruments, band activities, new music and much more. Please take a few minutes to look at the fundraiser.
See Purdy’s Fundraiser October/November 2016 link at left for more details.